Home About Us Legal Front Downloads Audio/Visual Contact Us Store/Donate
Alarcon tells Europa Press: "Obama can pardon the Cuban Five"

July 5, 2012
Translation by Machetera

The President of Cuba’s parliament, Ricardo Alarcón, says that the President of the United States, Barack Obama, has plenty of arguments to support a pardon for the five Cubans sentenced to extremely long prison terms in the US, considering that both the judge who presided over the case and the US Attorney General recognized irregularities during the judicial process.

“We’re asking Obama for very little,” Alarcón insisted in an interview with Europa Press in Madrid, emphasizing that “the arguments” about the errors committed during the trial “aren’t coming from Cuba, but from the US events themselves.”

The “Cuban Five” consist of Gerardo Hernández, Rene González, Antonio Guerrero, Ramón Labañino and Fernando González Llort. All were arrested by the FBI on September 12, 1998, in the United States, where they’ve been accused – among other crimes – of “conspiracy to commit espionage” on behalf of the Cuban government. They are currently serving sentences ranging from 18 years in prison to life.

As a result, Cuba has undertaken a legal battle to achieve the liberation of these men, which it considers “heroes” and “political prisoners. Havana’s argument is that “the Five” were infiltrating dissident organizations in order to uncover planned attacks against the island, and it discounts the claim that their objective was to spy on the US government.

Just one of the men, Rene González, has left prison after completing his term, but must remain in the US until 2014, under supervised parole. Cuba is nearing the end of the road in the appeals process through habeas corpus filings, the last legal recourse at its disposition, Alarcón confirmed.

Alarcón recalled that Judge Joan Lenard, who presided over the case of “the Five,” “complained repeatedly about the conduct of journalists at the courthouse. A number of times, she said that the members of the jury felt threatened by the journalists, that they were afraid.” For this reason, the habeas corpus appeal is based on the fact that it was the press who pushed for Miami as the trial venue.

“If the same judge acknowledges an environment of illegal behavior and threats, why not call a mistrial?” he asked.

During the trial, the US Attorney General during the George W. Bush government, Alberto González, asked that the most serious charge against Gerardo Hernández be withdrawn; that of conspiracy to commit murder, for supposed participation in the shootdown of two aircraft belonging to the extreme rightwing organization Brothers to the Rescue.

So did the Court of Appeals in Atlanta, ruling that the trial against “the Five” be “declared null and void,” for being held in a “hostile environment created by the media.” However, Alarcón points out, at that time, the fact that the “perfect storm” had been “financed with federal money” was unknown.

“Taking all this into account, Obama can ask that the Five be sent home” through a pardon, he insists. “He ought to do it but the problem has to do with creating the conditions to make it his (Obama’s) most convenient option, and part of this is continuing with the legal battle,” to put the irregularities into the case record, he said.

The “arguments” available to the US president to pardon “the Five” “aren’t coming from Cuba, but from the US events themselves,” said Alarcon, one of the leading figures in Raúl Castro’s government.

If a pardon is not forthcoming, Cuba will have to wait for a decision from the US Supreme Court on the filings submitted as part of the extraordinary appeals process, but Alarcón has admitted that “expectations are not very promising” considering “the rarity for an accused to win a habeas corpus” appeal in the US.

DEFENSE ERRORS

Alarcón has acknowledged that at the time of the trial – held between the years 2000 and 2001 – the defense made a number of errors, including “not asking for a mistrial” when Judge Lenard herself complained about the behavior of journalists in front of the jury who convicted the men.

Now, Cuba is asking that “complete documentation” be submitted “about who the journalists were, who paid them (US authorities) and that those linked to the Miami media be called before the court.” It would amount to around 80 people, said Alarcón.

The greatest concern of the Castro government is the case of Gerardo Hernández, who “was not defended efficiently,” due to “various basic errors made by his attorney,” which Alarcón said were understandable in an “extremely complex” case.

“The basic error was one of focus,” he said, because the attorney “ought to have requested that Gerardo be tried separately on the charge of conspiracy to commit murder in the first degree” which is the charge related to his supposed implication in the downing of the Brothers to the Rescue aircraft in 1996.

The charge of “conspiracy to commit first degree murder” he explained, was added seven months after the trial began, and thus became “mixed” with the case of the other four, limiting many aspects of his defense.

All this happened “after the Miami press reported meetings of the head of the FBI with counter-revolutionary leaders as well as Brothers to the Rescue, who asked him to get that charge added,” said Alarcón.

However, he recalled, “the (US) prosecution itself acknowledged in May of 2001 that it could not prove that charge” against Hernández, and as a result, “it’s an absurd accusation because Gerardo is not a pilot nor did he work for the Cuban Air Force, nor was he in Havana.”

The Brothers to the Rescue aircraft were downed in 1996. The debate centers on the site of the shootdown and any help that Gerardo might have provided. Cuba has provided proof that everything occurred in its airspace, but the United States alleges that it was in international airspace, something it has been unable to prove because “it refuses to turn over the satellite imagery.”

“The only conclusion I can draw is that they know the incident took place within Cuban airspace and therefore all of this is senseless,” says Alarcón.

For its part, Havana has insisted that Gerardo Hernández never provided information about the planes’ illegal flight. “It’s impossible to connect him with that and the prosecution said as much when it asked for the charge to be withdrawn,” but Gerardo “was convicted for something of which he wasn’t accused and on top of it all, he was given the maximum sentence,” life in prison.

The fact that Gerardo Hernández – who was considered the leader of the supposed espionage network – was accused of conspiracy to commit murder, caused prejudice against his comrades because this suggested that “they were working under the orders of a murderer,” although they have not been charged with the offense.

     
Alarcón a Europa Press: "Obama puede indultar a los Cinco"

5 de julio de 2012
Tomado de Europa Press

El titular del Parlamento de Cuba, Ricardo Alarcón, afirma que el mandatario estadounidense, Barack Obama, cuenta con los argumentos suficientes para indultar a los cinco cubanos condenados a altísimas penas en Estados Unidos, considerando que tanto la jueza encargada del caso como el fiscal general reconocieron que hubo irregularidades durante el proceso judicial.

“Lo que estamos pidiendo a Obama es poco”, ha asegurado Alarcón en una entrevista a Europa Press en Madrid, al destacar que “los argumentos” sobre los errores cometidos durante el juicio “no los da Cuba, sino las propias instancias norteamericanas”.

El grupo de ‘los cinco’ está conformado por Gerardo Hernández, René González, Antonio Guerrero, Ramón Labañino y Fernando González Llort. Todos ellos fueron detenidos por el FBI el 12 de septiembre de 1998 en Estados Unidos, donde han sido acusados –entre otros delitos– de “conspiración para cometer espionaje” a favor del gobierno de Cuba. Actualmente cumplen condenas que van desde los 18 años de cárcel hasta la prisión perpetua.

Desde entonces, Cuba ha emprendido una batalla legal para lograr la excarcelación de estos hombres a los que considera “héroes” y “presos políticos”. El argumento de La Habana es que ‘los cinco’ estaban infiltrados en organizaciones disidentes para descubrir los atentados que tenían previsto activar contra la isla y desmienten la versión de que su objetivo era espiar al Gobierno de Washington.

Sólo uno de ellos, René González, ha sido excarcelado pero deberá permanecer en Estados Unidos hasta el año 2014 bajo el régimen de libertad supervisada. Cuba está agotando ahora la vía del procedimiento extraordinario mediante la solicitud de los habeas corpus, que son los últimos recursos legales que tiene a su disposición, ha confirmado el titular del parlamento.

Alarcón ha recordado que la jueza Joan Lenard, que llevó el caso de ‘los cinco’, “varias veces se quejó de la conducta de los periodistas en la sede del tribunal, varias veces dijo que el jurado se sentía atemorizado por los periodistas, que tenían miedo”. Por este motivo, los habeas corpus se fundamentan en el hecho de que la prensa incidió en el juicio que se llevó a cabo en Miami.

“Si la misma jueza reconoce que hay un ambiente de ilegalidad y amenazas, ¿cómo no pide que se anule ese juicio?”, se ha preguntado.

En este contexto, el fiscal general de Estados Unidos durante el Gobierno de George W. Bush, Alberto González, pidió que se retirara a Gerardo Hernández el cargo de conspiración para cometer asesinato, por su supuesta participación en el derribo de dos avionetas de la organización de extrema derecha Hermanos al Rescate.

Asimismo, la Corte de Apelaciones de Atlanta “declaró nulo y sin valor el juicio” contra ‘los cinco’ alegando que se realizó en un “ambiente de hostilidad creado por los medios”, sin embargo, destaca Alarcón, en ese momento no se sabía que esa “tormenta perfecta” había sido “financiada con el presupuesto federal”.

“Tomando en cuenta todo esto, Obama puede pedir que se vayan a sus casas” mediante un indulto, ha insistido. “Debería hacerlo pero el problema está en crear las condiciones que hagan que para él (Obama) sea lo más conveniente hacerlo y parte de eso es continuar con la batalla legal” para poner en evidencia las irregularidades, ha destacado el jefe del Parlamento.

Los “argumentos” con los que cuenta el mandatario estadounidense para indultar a ‘los cinco’ “no los da Cuba, sino las propias instancias norteamericanas”, ha reiterado Alarcón, uno de los hombres fuertes del Gobierno de Raúl Castro.

En caso contrario, Cuba debe esperar por la decisión del Supremo en torno a los recursos introducidos por vía del procedimiento extraordinario, pero Alarcón ha admitido que “las expectativas no son tan prometedoras” porque “es muy raro que un acusado haya logrado ganar un habeas corpus” en Estados Unidos.

ERRORES DE LA DEFENSA

Alarcón ha reconocido que en el momento del juicio –que se celebró entre los años 2000 y 2001– la defensa cometió algunos errores porque “no pidió la anulación del juicio” una vez que la propia jueza Lenard de quejó del comportamiento de los periodistas frente al jurado que condenó a ‘los cinco’.

Ahora, lo que Cuba pide es que se “entregue la documentación completa de quiénes eran los periodistas, cuánto les pagaban (las autoridades de Estados Unidos) y que convoque ante el tribunal a las personas vinculadas a los medios de prensa de Miami” que serían unas 80, ha precisado.

La mayor preocupación para el Gobierno de Castro es el caso de Gerardo Hernández, quien “no fue defendido de una manera eficaz” porque “el abogado” de oficio que se le asignó “cometió varios errores fundamentales”, lo cual Alarcón comprende porque se trata de un caso “muy complicado y muy complejo”.

“El error fundamental fue el enfoque” porque el abogado “debió haber solicitado que Gerardo fuese juzgado por separado por conspiración para cometer asesinato en primer grado” que es el cargo relacionado con su supuesta implicación en el derribo de las avionetas de Hermanos al Rescate en 1996, ha precisado.

El cargo de “conspiración para cometer asesinato en primer grado”, ha explicado, fue agregado siete meses después de que comenzara el juicio y se “mezcló” con el caso de los otros cuatro, lo cual le limitaba en muchos aspectos de su defensa.

Todo esto se hizo “después de que en la prensa de Miami se reportaran reuniones del jefe del FBI con jefes antirrevolucionarios y de Hermanos al Rescate que le pedían que agregara ese cargo”, ha afirmado.

Sin embargo, recuerda Alarcón, “la propia Fiscalía (en Estados Unidos) en mayo de 2001 reconoció que no había podido probar ese cargo” contra Hernández, en consecuencia, “es una acusación absurda porque ni Gerardo es piloto ni trabaja en la Fuerza Aérea Cubana ni estaba en La Habana”.

Las avionetas de Hermanos al Rescate fueron derribadas en el año 1996. La discusión se centra en el lugar de los hechos y en la ayuda que habría proporcionado Gerardo. Cuba ha mostrado pruebas de que todo ocurrió en su espacio aéreo, pero Estados Unidos alega que fue en una zona internacional, lo cual no ha podido probar porque “se niega a entregar las imágenes” del satélite.

“La única condición que yo puedo sacar que ellos saben que el incidente ocurrió dentro del espacio cubano y por tanto nada de esto tiene sentido”, ha aseverado.

Por otra parte, La Habana ha insistido en que Gerardo Hernández nunca les proporcionó información acerca del sobrevuelo irregular que hicieron las aeronaves. “Es imposible una relación de él con eso y eso lo dice la Fiscalía cuando pide retirar ese cargo”, pero Gerardo “fue condenado por algo de lo que no era acusado y encima de eso le impusieron la pena máxima”, la cadena perpetua.

El hecho de que Gerardo Hernández –quien era considerado el jefe de la supuesta red de espionaje– fuese acusado de conspiración para cometer asesinato, perjudicó a sus cuatro compañeros porque eso suponía que “trabajaban bajos las órdenes de un asesino”, aunque ellos no habían sido imputados por ese delito.

 

Home  |  News Archives  |  Legal Front  |  Downloads  |  Audio  |  Video  |  Contact Us  |  Store/Donate